Ceramics Club Sells Student Works – WKUHerald.com

Allie Hendricks/HERALD

The WKU Ceramics Club is hosting its annual ceramics sale November 17-19, 2021 at the Fine Arts Center with pieces made by club members.

The Ceramics Club is organizing a sale of ceramics from Wednesday November 17 to Friday November 19 from approximately 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day in the ceramic workshop of FAC 151.

The sale features works by WKU students of varying skill levels and a range of techniques. Many types of ceramics will be sold, such as planters, mugs, bowls and jewelry holders.

The sale of these pieces is very valuable to the club and the student artists, as 90% of the proceeds go to the artist, while the remaining 10% goes to the club.

“The Ceramics Club is holding this for the first time since 2019. The club typically holds this sale every semester,” said Jen Worley, arts education major and president of the Ceramics Club. “With club funds [from the sale], the ceramics club will be able to provide new tools and materials that we need for the workshop. In the past, the sale was able to provide money for a clay extruder as well as a raku kiln.

The sale not only serves as a form of fundraising for the club, but it gives students the real opportunity to sell their art.

It’s just such a great place for students to interact with professors and other patrons of the arts.

-Greg Strange

Greg Strange, a ceramics instructor, shared how the sale started and the gratitude he feels to have the sale again this semester.

“It was started years ago by other faculty members, who started it as a simple beaker sale. I then wanted to expand it to any piece of ceramics that students wanted to sell,” Strange said. “We did that every year until 2020 when COVID shut us down. This is the first time we’ve had a sale in two years, and it’s kind of like a new coming out for the club.

Strange also talked about how it’s a valuable experience for students to interact with their community, as well as gaining professional skills in selling their art.

“It’s just such a great place for students to interact with professors and other patrons of the arts,” Strange said. “Selling their own art is an important experience for these students. And overall, it’s just fun and can give them some pocket money, which definitely comes in handy during Christmas time.

Students view art for sale for the Ceramics Club’s annual ceramics sale at the Fine Arts Center on November 17, 2021. (Allie Hendricks/HERALD)

Many students had pieces that sold out within the first few hours of the sale. Meredith Bush, a fifth-year graphic design student, was one such student and shared how important it was to her that student artists haveaccess to the opportunities offered by the sale.

“I think it gives insight into the application of art in the real world,” Bush said. “A lot of arts students hear the ‘you can’t do anything with this degree’ stance, so I think this is a good opportunity to really have hope as a student. There’s a place for this in the world – art is a necessity and people will want it.

Journalist Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].

Comments are closed.